Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Brownie Heaven

My side of the family are self proclaimed chocoholics, so any thing chocolate usually goes over fairly well at any family gathering. It was my assignment to make the dessert for our March gathering so I made the Rocky Mountain Brownies, that are in the latest "World Wide Ward Cookbook." It was such a hit that I thought I would pass the recipe along.

Rocky Mountain Brownies
1 cup butter ( I cut this in half as I like a firmer brownie)
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups nuts( optional)
1 cups mini marshmallows
Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat and add cocoa and sugar. Mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add four, vanilla & nuts. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 pan or a 9 X 9 pan for a thick brownie. Bake @ 350 for 30 mins. Turn off the oven, spread marshmallows over the top of the brownies. Return to oven for an additional 3-5 mins until the marshmallows are barely melted. Remove form oven and drizzle with Fudgy-Chocolate frosting.

Fudgy- Choc Frosting
1/3 cup butter ( I used 1/4 as to cut a little fat out Ha Ha)
3 Tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt butter in sauce pan on medium heat. Remove from heat, add cocoa & milk. Beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. If still to thick add tablespoon of milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over marshmallows on brownies. Serve hot or cold.

I double the recipe and put in large cookie sheet. I also let the brownies/marshmallows cool then add the fudge sauce for a more firm brownie. I tried putting the sauce on right after the oven, and it soaks down into the brownie for more of a molten cake type of brownie. So do it how you prefer.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Annissa

I would fit right in with your familyy then. I believe that is my favorite food group! Lol Chocolate! Mmmmm This recipe sounds great!

Melanie said...

Yum! I saw that cookbook on tv- it looks like a great buy!

Toni said...

Why must you tempt me? These look super yummy!

Cami said...

excellent.

Bekah said...

I don't know why I haven't been on your blog before. Look what I've been missing!

Great family, great food. What else could you ask for?

Annalee said...

They were definitely worth the 3 lbs I gained this week (by the time we made the batch at our house as well). Maybe I'll have to have them once a year though:)
Thanks Annis!