Monday, November 9, 2009

Sleep, Baby, Sleep

 
Posted by Picasa


Sleep, Baby, Sleep
Your father guards the sheep,
Your mother shakes the dreamland tree,
And from it fall sweet dreams for thee.
Sleep, Baby, Sleep

That is the lullaby- nursery rhyme that runs through my mind every time I rock Tracen in my arms, trying to get him asleep. He is such a cute baby to cuddle and snuggle and I count my blessings that he is finally here, but it is also so nice to have him go to sleep for a minute to be able to try and get a few of the basic things done like take a shower, or do the dishes.

Tracen for the most part is a good little baby. He is starting to adhere to a little bit of a schedule and sleep 4-5 hours during the night. However, every couple of days we have those "bad" nights or nap times where he doesn't want to sleep unless some one is holding him. Naps during the day are rare unless he is being held. So out of shear exhaustion, I accidental fall asleep with him in my arms, in my rocker with my neck kinked and pay the price the rest of the day.

I have tried what all the experts say and things I have done with the other boys like, swaddle him in a blanket so he feels like he is being held, prop him on a bed, etc. However he wakes up with in minutes. So I am adapting the best I can. Take right this minute for example. He is propped up against my chest, and I am leaning back into my chair so that my hands are free to type and he gets a nap. It works! I have been able to catch up on a little blogging and check my email. That is more that I have been able to do on the computer since bringing him home, hence our lack of blogging. So maybe I have found a solution, but my tail bone is killing me.

So as Tim Gunn says... we are making it work!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

What a sweetie. I love the hair. Hmmm.... trying to think what else to try. I snuggled them and then laid them all wrapped up in a boppy. They worked when they were little. My babies also loved the swing. It has to be the automatic one though. The crank ruins it and wakes them up. What else....? Wished we lived close to help. Luckily mom is an expert baby holder and bubble remover! :)

Toni said...

Sometimes I would put mine in a sling/snugglie so they would think they were being held but I had my hands free.

Travis & Steff said...

With a cutie like that, I wouldn't be able to put him down either. He is beautiful :)

mama fish said...

The no sleep thing is killer, so I am sorry about that. I never felt "alive" again until I could get a good eight hours. He is darling though, so that takes a little of the edge off hopefully. Hang in there!

Annalee said...

He'll be walking out the door to kindergarten before you know it and you'll be wishing for one more chance to rock him:) Kind of hard to enjoy every moment though-when it literally is "every moment" while you are going through it though eh? You are awesome! Hang in there!