Saturday, January 24, 2009

Taking a Spiritual Timeout

Life has been busy and I haven't had a moment to do any posting. So I thought I better at least put a little something up, just to keep you updated.

Sometimes you just need to give yourself a needed time out from life. This morning I had an opportunity to attend a Women's Conference, with Ardeth G. Kapp, as the featured speaker.

Sister Kapp was the General Young Women's President of the LDS faithful back in the the good ole days of my teenage years of growing up. So I have fond memories of the different meetings that I attended as a youth including, singing in the choir at the Women Conf at Temple Square where she was conducting the meeting.

Anyway, today she was a delightful speaker who focused on the Scriptures and how we sometimes just use them as bookends on our shelf.

She told many neat stories of her rubbing shoulders with the "brethren" and how the scriptures helped her overcome feelings of inadequacy in her different assignments over the years.

Some of the little quotes she said could even be made into vinyl lettering and put on a board! Ha Ha! Here is a sampling of what she said.

Are you just going through the scriptures? Or are the scriptures going through you?

The scriptures are like letters from home, helping us on our journey.

Our souls are like seeds that need nourishment. How often are we watering our souls?

She had many more insightful thoughts and definitely lifted my spirit for the day.

On a lighter note. The meeting was packed of women from our area, and I was sitting by a nice older lady who I did not know. During the meeting my cell phone (which was put on silent in my pocket) started vibrating. We were all sitting so close that she looked at me and said, your vibrating! I had to chuckle as I tried to reach in my pocket to stop the movement. Guess you had to be there, but the look on her face was priceless!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I love those sayings! I am guilty of using my scriptures for bookends more often than not. :) Sounds like it was a really good conference.

Toni said...

I heard her speak at a Time Out for Women. She's a wonderful speaker.

Annalee said...

I loved your post, the quotes,and the remembrance of those time out days when you refill your own bucket! Thanks for sharing! I may have to steal the "scriptures going through you" quote for the YW!:)

Cami said...

Sounds like an uplifting experience - we all need those to keep us going.