Monday, December 28, 2009

The Bookmobile

 
Growing up I have fond memories of going to the bookmobile after school to find the latest Nancy Drew book. I was an avid reader back then as our family's TV died and my parents decided not to fix it. Having no TV gave me plenty of time to do other things like listen to my songs on the pink record player or dive deep into adventure with Nancy Drew. I wanted to be just like her when I grew up, but then I realized I would probably have to see dead bodies and so I decided I would just read about her instead. When we moved I missed the bookmobile adventures and thought they had become extinct.
 

When we moved to Box Elder County we rented a little duplex while we were building our house. It was practically next door to a church, where we had many fun adventures of the kids riding their bikes and playing in the parking lot. One day I noticed that a bookmobile was parked there, and I had all the nostalgia come flooding back. The kids probably thought I was loosing it, as I was so excited for them to experience the "bookmobile".

 
I was pleased to find out that the bookmobile serviced all of our county as we are a "rural" area. So when we moved to our new house we found out that the bookmobile had stops there too. The kids are also lucky enough to have it stop at the schools where they get to check out books along with the books in the library.

Having this service has been a great blessing and has helped me try and keep one of last years, new years goals of trying to read for fun again. Before Motherhood came along I use to read all of the time, but just put it on the back burner and never had time for it.

Along came "Twilight" and I really didn't get into until my Sister in law, Sherlene brought me the books and said YOU HAVE TO READ THESE! So I told myself OK a 1/2 hour each day, for some "me" time. Then I found hours later I couldn't put the books down. So, after reading like mad through that series, I thought I would like to find some balance and read a little each day. This summer I was able to read a bit more as I put myself on a little bed rest being so pregnant, and was able to read quite a few books covering many topics. I loved the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, about orphans who adopt each other as adults and where life takes them. If you decide to check it out start with the Prequel first. I am now in a series written by the same author which deals with the many people who serve our country as Navy Seals and different armed services, it sure gives you an appreciation for all that they do and their challenges from long deployments. Anyway my point is that I have rediscovered my love of reading and all thanks to our fun bookmobile. I am glad that my children are able to have some of the fun experiences that I enjoyed as a child. I hope that I will always try and make a little time to read!
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Loved this post - hearing your thoughts and memories.

I think birth order is interesting. We each remember such different things. For example, I don't think I remember the pink record player. I do remember the bookmobile from Spring Creek though. That was fun to pick out books.

I'm glad your kids will have that memory as well. Plus, I agree that reading is so important. Collin is just getting in to it. I hope his love for it will continue.

Toni said...

A love of reading is a great thing to pass on to your children.