Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sabbath Prayers & Blessings

Wow! What wild weather we have had this Sabbath day in our area!

When a storm starts coming in, the winds really pick up and it feels like the house is going through a hurricane. It was no different with this storm only the snow came the same time as the winds and the snow was blowing sideways. The power was flickering and I was hoping I could blow dry my hair before we lost power!

One of my callings is the ward chorister for our Sunday Sacrament Meeting. So it is one of those jobs in the church, where you CAN'T be late. So I headed out the door with those that were ready. Jeff would follow a few minutes later with Tommy, as Tom was having a morning melt down of what not to wear.

We headed out the door and found the roads icy and with poor visibility, we could only see about 10-20 feet in front of us. I had Tanner say a good prayer that we could be safe and headed to church. When we arrived the parking lot was near empty as everyone seamed to be struggling with the weather.

Soon the meeting started and people were still straggling in, but Jeff and Tom were MIA. I had visions in my head of Tommy having a full on tantrum, and ripping off all of his church clothes because those were not his favorites. Laying on the floor kicking and screaming. He has some issues with clothes right now, which I will leave for another post.

Anyway soon after they arrived, Tommy in different clothes, than when I saw him last, and Jeff gave me one of those looks like it was a challenge to get here. Little did I know that it had nothing to do with Tommy.

Soon after the meeting started the Bishop stood up, and said we would only be taking the sacrament today,since it was the most important thing we need to do at church, and then we would dismiss for home as the weather was so bad. We have many families who travel in 30-45 mins to come to church, and you thought I lived in the boonies! He was very concerned with every ones safety and didn't want us to have the snow pile up for the next 3 hours and have these families get stuck and not be able to get home. The little kid in me was jumping for joy, saying... a church snow day! I was really pumped as I was also suppose to substitute in primary, as a very last minute favor for someone and knew it was going to be a struggle to keep those kids entertained with no preparation.

When Jeff and I finally met up after the meeting, he explained why he gave me that look, and thought it was a good decision on the Bishops part to send everyone home. He retold how he was heading to church, going very slow on our main road, when all of the sudden he hit a patch of black ice. He could feel the car heading off the road going down towards a steep area into one of the open fields and ponds. There was nothing he could do but told Tom to hold on, and they would be going for a "ride." All of the sudden the edge of the road caught him and shot him to the opposite side of the road where he was able to gain control of the car and get to church. When he pulled in the parking lot, one of the ward members who followed him the whole way told him, "When I saw you were going off and there was nothing you could do, I said a quick prayer that you would be safe, and then saw that the car was pushed back to safety!" What a quick answer to prayer! Jeff said it felt like a hand came up and pushed the car over to the other side. We are so grateful for prayer and angels that were watching over him and Tommy.

So we had a relaxing snow day,where the kids still fought and bugged each other, but and the sun came out and we had blue skies for a little while until the storm came in again. What a great lesson for our family to remember what can be done with the power of prayer!

8 comments:

grandma gus said...

OMGosh!!!!What am I getting in to?
That is such a scary report, and I am glad the Bishop had the wisdom to call it when he did!!!! Too bad it couldn't have been earlier when people were just hitting the showers!!!
You never know though, I have even heard of snow days in JULY!!!!!
So glad you are safe and sound and that you guys had protecting hands around you.....seen and unseen!!!!
Myself, I am praying for SPRING!!!!

Bekah said...

I remember those sneaky spring snow storms. Yikes! Glad you guys were able to get to church and back safe.

Toni said...

Prayer is such a powerful tool. Too bad so many don't realize its power and use it more oftern. I'm glad you are all safe.

Jennie said...

I'm glad you guys are all okay. What a scary experience! However... don't you love silver linings? Snow days are wonderful!

Melanie said...

I enjoyed this post. What a great story about prayer.

Annalee said...

I think that story needs to be submitted to the Ensign! I am so glad you are all OK! TFS (Thnaks for sharing)!

mama fish said...

We are so glad nothing happened and nobody one was hurt. We are also glad you were able to enjoy the snow day....maybe you were smart to move up there! haha

Cami said...

How scary, but what a good testimony builder!