Tucker has had a rough school year with staying well. He has had repeated strep throat. Every time we thought he was getting over it, strep showed its ugly face again. We have had to make sure we are on top of it with his heart condition, or it may cause bigger complications. So because he had strep four times since Christmas, the Ear Nose and Throat Specialist thought it was time for his tonsils and adenoids to come out. We scheduled it for the day after school got out, so that he would not have to miss any more school and recover before the summer activities got into full swing. He needed to have his surgery down at Primary Children's so that a cardiologist could be there in case any problems arose. They have a fun little prep class that they encourage kids to take before they have surgery to help them better understand what will be happening to them. Here is Tucker at his class with his hospital baby buddy.
About a week before his surgery, I kept hearing about different cases that had gone wrong with patients getting their tonsils out. I had to travel up to Idaho for a conference for Avon and I rode with a cute lady in our area. I didn't know her very well, but as we had a long drive, she opened up to me part of her life story of loosing her son a few years ago. He was 27 and went in to get his tonsils out and went into cardiac arrest, a coma, and died two weeks later. Here I was bawling my eyes out hearing all the details of what this poor family had to endure, when my own son with heart issues was having the same surgery a few days later. It weighed heavy on my heart that maybe I was being prepared for some complications with Tucker. I am sure being pregnant didn't not help my emotional dooms day thought process. All I could do was try to have hope that everything would turn out for the best. Tucker had a Priesthood blessing the night before, and I knew I would have to leave the rest up to Heavenly Father.
When we got to Primary's it was a whirl wind, as they had the surgery before us cancel. So they were ready for us the minute we checked in. It was such a blessing not to have to wait around and let the emotions take over. They whisked him off that I almost didn't get a picture of him riding in the wagon away to the operating room. He did great! He is holding a jar of the loose teeth they had to pull so that he wouldn't swallow them during surgery. So the tooth fairy left him bigger bucks than normal for loosing booth tonsils and teeth the same day.
They had told us to plan on having one parents spending the night with Tucker at the hospital, for observation to make sure his heart was ok from the anaesthesia, but he was able to go home that afternoon! We were excited as the chair/beds for parents are not to comfy. Jeff was going to take one for the team, as I knew there was no way I could stay there. We feel so lucky and blessed that the surgery went well. Grandma & Grandpas Gus had helped keep down the fort with our other kids. They had made a yummy dinner and recycled a Welcome Home sign for Tucker. It was a really neat for him. He had a scare over the weekend where his fever climbed to 103.5, but he is now on a full recovery of starting his summer with good health! We are very grateful with his outcome!


3 comments:
I'm glad all went well. He is such a brave kid.
Well done little T. We're glad you made it through with flying colors.
Ouch - did that hurt when they pulled his teeth? Glad everything went well - what fun hospital pics!
Post a Comment