Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Summer


Our summer vacation came to an end this week as the kids finally started school. I will have to admit we have really enjoyed a lazy summer. We've kept it pretty low key as my energy level from this pregnancy was zapped.

Some of our last summer moments were some fun field trips of events going on in our area. The county fair is a big to do, where all other activities in the community are put on hold because of the fair. We tried to avoid some of the crowds by seeing the sites during the day. Many members of our area won ribbons for their baked goods, jams, and art that they entered.

We had to take a few sitting breaks for me to catch my breath being 8 months pregnant. I can't believe I let the kids take a picture of me, but it was all in the spirit of the fair fun.

Tate planted a cabbage from a seed, from school last spring and it became giant.The kids also helped with the harvest projects from our two gardens, and produce that our nice neighbors shared with us. As many of you know Jeff is our main "canner" and we are just his helpers. So far we have canned green beans, salsa, jam, and anything apricot, halves, juice, jam, etc. One night we did over 72 jars of pint size jam. So if the world comes to an end you know where you can get apricot jam.

My sister Jennie came up with her kids and two of Annalee's girls for a fun field trip out to Golden Spike. It was neat for us to go and see the history, as we had not ventured that far West, out in our neck of the woods.

Over all a fun summer. I am really proud of my kids for entertaining themselves a lot this summer. Yes, there was some fighting, and picking on each other, but they did pretty good for hanging around the homestead as much as we did with my lack of energy. I will miss the lazy days, and being able to sleep in, but I think it will be good to get back on a schedule. So long summer of 2009, looking forward for fun memories to make next year.



5 comments:

Toni said...

At least you can blame your lack of energy on being pregnant -- I'm just lazy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having everyone up! It looks like it was a fun day with the cousins! I am so proud of you guys for all the canning!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it was giving me problems posting--anonymous was me-Annalee!

Kim said...

You look great!!! 8 months and going to the Fiar and other summer events??? I was prego last summer but had her in August and wanted to die then...man you are an AMAZING mom!!! I love seeing your blog..when I remember to get on here! Lol Have a fun rest of the pregnancy!!! I still can't believe it is another boy!!! You will be so busy so take a nap while those boys are in school!! Take care!!

Cami said...

Cute pic of all the kids with Grandpa Gus - that's a keeper! Fun!